NIGHT TIME LIGHT EXPOSURE – NOT a Bright Idea – Part 1 of 2
We live in a very light polluted world, in comparison to that of our very recent ancestors. Estimates now indicate that close to 99% of both Americans and Europeans are exposed to “light pollution.” Not only are we excessively exposed to light in modern times, but the type of light accounting for this exposure is changing rapidly. As we move away from incandescent lights in favor of light emitting diode (LED) technology, we are seeing an ever-increasing exposure to a particular part of the light spectrum – blue light – associated with some worrisome health-depleting effects in humans…Click the link below:
Health Effects of Blue Light to read the entire article and research.
No one who responds to seasonal allergens looks forward to spring, especially when the tree pollen’s and dust begin flying. That said, you can minimize or eliminate – as I did – allergic responses to airborne triggers by taking simple steps you may not have considered. In addition, using a proprietary homeopathic remedy to not only rid yourself of symptoms but to take proactively before the season is well on its way, is your best “insurance”. AND, March is the time to begin that therapy.
More than thirty years ago I relocated from Southern California to Northern Idaho to open two natural health clinics. I never had seasonal allergies in California and I lived in both the southern and northern parts of the state. I didn’t give any thought to protecting myself from, or that I’d even respond to, airborne pollutants – was I in for a surprise!
The first spring, around mid-March I found myself with nagging frontal headaches, itchy swollen eyes, post-nasal drip and then by the first of April I developed a full-blown sinus infection with a headache that felt like a sledge hammer landed on my head. I hadn’t had a sinus infection in more than twenty years and after trying everything non-drug I finally ended up in the emergency room. The physician that saw me asked if I had a history of sinus infections. After taking a complete history, he commented, “Oh, if you just relocated here you’ll always have symptoms and/or infections this time of year with the burning of farm fields at the end of summer, and in the early spring all the pine pollen’s and dust flying around, just get used to it the rest of the year is beautiful here.” I couldn’t believe my ears…just get used to it! The only thing he could offer was an antibiotic for the sinus infection and an injection of a steroid (Kenalog) to help with the acute inflammation. Being a doctor of natural health, I KNEW what side-effects could ensue but I was in SO much pain I felt I could do anything once surely without terrible side-effects, right? WRONG…Click to continue reading…
I hope none of you are planning to gift someone a product with a synthetic fragrance this Valentine’s Day or any day! I’m NOT speaking about organic essential oils, this is all about those toxic man-made fragrances.
I’ve written and taught for years about the dangers of non-organic candles, synthetic fragrances and toxic wicks, yet, it seems a lot of my research has fallen on deaf ears because people continue to use them or ask me why they shouldn’t…you asked, here it is…CLICK to continue reading…
As a Doctor of Natural Health, Health Detective and Investigative Health Journalist, I’ve reported on some devastating findings in that which we eat, are exposed to environmentally and everything in-between…this report is one of the most disturbing – we each need to stay informed, these findings are what “feeds” my passion and commitment of Health thru Education© – now more than ever!
I’ve reported on China producing PLASTIC RICE, you read that right, PLASTIC RICE! Ingesting even small amounts is dangerous. In addition, the BPA chemical in plastics mimic estrogen – skyrocketing in the body every time its ingested. If you ingest plastic rice, you’re basically signing a death sentence to die young of diseases like breast cancer.
I’ve always stayed away from products made in China as much as possible, especially food. Making cheap, fake food that looks and tastes like “real food” in order to add to their bottom line without any consciousness of consequences to me is criminal.
The following is a brief summary of my latest research on Chinese food you should completely avoid, in my professional opinion:
- Tilapia Fish: Commonly farm-raised, these fish are the worse, most toxic and unhealthy fish you can consume. This fish will eat anything – comparable to bottom-feeder varieties of other fish. They’re farmed in small pools of waste water. It’s common that Chinese fish farmers won’t even allow their own children to eat the seafood they farm – that tells us A LOT! Keep in mind that over 80% of all Tilapia in America comes from China.
- Cod Fish: Another farm-raised fish is cod – its not healthy and literally lives in its own waste. Beware, over 50% of American cod comes from China. I only eat cod from the deep cold waters of Alaska, it’s not negotiable for me. When I’m out of the U.S. I ask a lot of questions when ordering fish so I can be as sure as possible the source and then make an informed decision.
- Apple Juice: Okay, this one is literally hard to swallow. Approximately 50% of apple juice sold in the U.S. comes from China. While “digesting” that, consider that China is the world’s largest pesticide-producing country. I recommend avoiding apple juice unless you know the source, period. I buy organic apples and have them juiced locally. By the way, having lived for several years in WA state (a huge apple producer), I know that a great majority of apples grown here are exported to China, wonder if they return in juice laden with chemicals?
- Processed Mushrooms: When Chinese mushrooms were tested by US inspectors, they found they were tainted. CAUTION: some manufacturers in China actually label these processed mushrooms “organic” just to increase profits. If you do your research, like I do, you’ll find that there are a variety of “mystery mushrooms” from China, they are completely fake, that’s right, not mushrooms at all. In the U.S., over 34% of processed mushrooms are from China. Don’t risk it, buy local organic and know your source.
- Garlic: Garlic from China was also found to be tainted when U.S. Inspectors tested it. Chinese garlic is laden with chemicals more so than other and you can tell because it leaves a bitter aftertaste of the chemical concoction. Over 31% of garlic sold in the U.S. is from China. I make sure my garlic is from the U.S. and, when possible, buy local organic from my farmers’ markets.
- Chicken: Believe it or not, since 2013 the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture approved the sale of Chinese chicken in the U.S. There is wide-spread concern about this practice since avian influenza and other food-borne illnesses are so common in China. AND, because China produces and uses more pesticides than any other country, the contamination in their mass production and industry techniques are of great concern. To avoid this, buy organic and local.
- Rice: As I referenced earlier in this report, fake plastic rice is widely being produced in China. It is believed by researchers to be made from potatoes and a synthetic resin. This particular rice doesn’t react like normal rice, beware…when boiled this rice stays hard. Scientists believe the long-term effects of this food is most likely cancerous…dah!
- Black Pepper: Here’s another hard to believe fact. Black pepper in China was actually mud, you read correctly, mud! In addition, some manufacturers admitted to coloring flour and selling it as white pepper…OMG. There isn’t much, if any, due diligence in the Chinese food and safety regulations, know the source of your pepper.
- Salt: I’ve written extensively about the health benefits of salt, the right kind, that is.
- That said, some Chinese manufacturers have been selling industrial salt as table salt and industrial salt is NOT fit for human consumption, period. It can cause both mental and physical diseases and disorders, especially hypothyroid and reproductive system disorders. I love salt and rotate between various natural organic varieties like Pink Himalayan, Israeli Dead Sea, Hawaiian Lava and others from natural sea beds around the world – each regional salt imparts a completely different flavor.
- Green Peas: China is the worst offender of fake peas. These “wanna-be” peas are created with snow peas, soy beans, green dye and sodium metabisulfite (a chemical used as bleach and as preservative). This dye is banned on produce because it was identified to cause cancer, as well as inhibit the body’s natural ability to absorb calcium. These “wanna-be” green peas also don’t soften when boiled and the water turns an unnatural green. Avoid peas from China.
China is one of the most polluted regions in the entire world – 70% of its rivers are heavily polluted, the air is so toxic I had to wear a mask all the time on my last trip there a couple of years ago when I was invited to teach, the air is a “toxic soup” of pollutants and chemicals that breathing it in large cities like Beijing and Shanghai does as much damage to your lungs as smoking 40 cigarettes’ a day, according to studies conducted in 2015. I love the Chinese people and their culture but I won’t be returning, it’s not worth the toxic exposure! I have made dozens of trips to various parts of China since the early 1980’s, it sad to me that a country so rich in history has succumb to being the leader in toxic products – all in the name of “progress.”
I have taught and counseled for over 20 years about the dangerous health effects of synthetic fragrances. I have to admit people are much more informed and avoid fragrances now more than in the past 15 years, Thank God! Yet many still choose to wear toxic fragrances, I hope its strictly a lack of knowledge!
Your PERFUME maybe another’s POISON. If you choose to apply any personal care product that is not all organic and only scented with organic essential oils, please do so at home in your own environment, not in public places or in someone else’s air space. Just like cigarette/cigar smoke, we as a population have no right to contaminate the air of those around us without their consent, chemical fragrances are no exception. My practice specializes in working with individuals with a multitude of inflammatory disorders and multiple allergic responses, many of them life-threatening…please consider the health threat to you and those around you before exposing others to a fragranced product.
When I teach or lecture, it is clearly printed on all marketing materials that anyone wearing an evident fragrance will not be admitted. The following brochure is one I created for my post-graduate students and now I’m sharing with my readers in the hope that it will be just what you needed, “Health thru Education.” CLICK to Download _IWR-Fragrance_2016
I still can’t believe that after more than fifteen years of writing about, and consulting with clients about, how to stay healthy while away from home, they’re still getting sick most of the time they travel because they “forget” what precautions to take and what to pack with them. SO…here are my tips for staying healthy that I use and recommend and Thank God I don’t get sick when I travel and I do so extensively stateside and internationally. Clients and readers want to know what to do, what I do and why…here it goes…AGAIN…
Fall, my favorite time of year when nature’s colors burst as if saying, “pay attention to me”. In my experience, nature is also telling us to pay attention to the changes that may contribute to illnesses so prevalent this time of year.
Let’s look at what can sabotage your health once those sunny days become shorter and that delightful cool air embraces us in the early morning and evening…CLICK to continue reading…
Stepping Into Dangerous Bacteria…
We’ve all become more informed about dangerous bacteria let’s say from food-borne microorganisms, antibiotic-resistant strains often acquired from health care facilities-schools-public places, but now you need to know the findings of a recent study about what we’re “walking” into our homes and the health consequences…Click to Continue Reading…
Warm weather or travel aren’t the only ways to become victim of intestinal distress – just ask any victim of food-poisoning. The CDC estimates 48 million foodborne illnesses occur annually, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die after eating contaminated food. All activities involving food are potential intestinal health saboteurs because, when not adequately refrigerated or cooked, bacteria forms quickly – even left-overs at home…CLICK here to continue reading…
No one who responds to seasonal allergens looks forward to spring, especially when the tree pollens begin flying. That said, you can minimize or completely eliminate – as I did – allergic responses to airborne triggers by taking simple steps you may not have considered. In addition, using a proprietary homeopathic remedy to not only rid yourself of symptoms but to take proactively before the season is well on its way, is your best “insurance”.
More than twenty five years ago I relocated from California to Northern Idaho. I never had seasonal allergies in California and I lived in both the southern and northern parts of the state. I didn’t give any thought to protecting myself from or that I’d even respond to airborne pollutants – was I in for a surprise!
Click to continue reading…