As I counsel thousands worldwide I find more and more that deficiencies are manifesting that I didn’t observe over 30 years ago when I began private practice in natural health. It is my belief this has to do with current levels of daily prolonged stress and just as important is what we eat and are exposed to environmentally. Because of these discoveries and my clinical observations , I now perform a Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis (HTMA) on most of my new clients who book a full consultation, at no additional charge. This allows me to examine the individual “invisible blueprint” to identify nutrient deficiencies as well as toxic metals present that sabotage mineral nutrients and are not identified by other testing methods – therefore, most imbalances often are not identified as deficiencies nor are the presence of toxic substances.
With using this ancient time-tested method of testing I see many more deficiencies of the vital nutrient MAGNESIUM. You may be supplementing magnesium yet be deficient as reported by the Institute of Functional Medicine. The following symptoms, family history and health conditions are reasons to suspect magnesium deficiency:
- Depression or poor mood
- Irritability or anxiety
- Difficulty focusing (brain-fog)
- Family history of autism
- Frequent headaches and/or migraines
- Family or personal history of diabetes
- Trouble swallowing
- Acid reflux
- Sensitivity to loud noises
- Fatigue (not caused by other condition)
- Family history of asthma
- Constipation (less than 2 movements a day)
- Excessive prolonged stress
- Trouble falling and/or staying asleep
- Muscle twitching
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Leg or hand cramps
- Restless leg syndrome
- Heart flutters, skipped beats, or palpitations
- Family or personal history of kidney stones
- Family/personal history of heart disease
- Family/personal history of mitral valve prolapse
- Low intake of iodine-rich sea vegetables, wheat bran or germ, almonds, cashews, buckwheat, or dark-green leafy vegetables
In addition to the above reported symptoms, there are several I find are both personally and clinically also part of a magnesium deficiency and should always be considered:
- Joint pain (often manifesting as if deep bruises existed when they do not)
- Leg cramps (not only in the calves but anywhere on the legs)
- Thyroid dysfunction syndromes
Using the hair tissue mineral analysis (HTMA) for over twenty years in my practice, I can unequivalently attest that magnesium deficiency is often the underlying cause of symptoms never before connected to the disorder. The following are types of deficiencies that manifest:
Overt Deficiency – usually leads to low serum calcium or potassium levels. This deficiency is not something to take lightly as it can be serious with manifestations that include numbness, muscle contractions/cramps, seizures, personality changes, abnormal heart rhythm and other serious reactions. When nutrient levels are fairly balanced, the kidneys automatically kick-in to prevent excretion of magnesium. However, the HTMA is the crucial “invisible blueprint” often missed by conventional medicine and other health practitioners not certified in advanced analysis of this unique test that has been used for centuries.
Subclinical Deficiency – does not show on standard blood tests yet symptoms listed above are present.
Modern Day Increased Risks of Magnesium Deficiency
Standard daily recommendation for adult supplementation is 400 mg per day. The Standard American Diet (SAD) usually provides less than 200 mg per day and, therefore, we’re seeing more and more increased risks for deficiency, particularly in the following individuals:
- Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes;
- Those with a history of alcoholism – among other mechanisms, alcohol can double, even quadruple excretion of magnesium;
- Individuals with diarrhea or conditions such as in celiac disease, IBS, Crohn’s;
- Older adults, as their ability to absorb magnesium in the gut is reduced as they age, and their excretion of magnesium through the kidney increases;
- Individuals taking specific medications that can result in a magnesium depletion, the most common ones are proton pump inhibitors like Nexium, Prilosec, Omeprazole, Protonix;
- Those diagnosed with hypothyroidism – a lack of thyroid hormones can lead to low magnesium levels;
- Americans! In 2009, the World Health Organization released a report that stated up to 75% of Americans were not receiving adequate amounts of magnesium!
Food as Medicine
I always believe in counseling my patients and students to use food as medicine when possible. That said, because of busy schedules and other considerations, eating sufficient to supplement a magnesium deficiency is not always possible. The following are food sources of magnesium you should attempt to add daily:
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach, kale, chard, etc.
NOTE: For those of you choosing a diet like Paleo for autoimmune disorders, you need to be aware that the exclusion of the above foods increases your risk for a magnesium deficiency.
If you’re concerned about Hashimoto’s disease and you’re avoiding foods containing goitrogens, keep in mind that one-half cup of steamed spinach provides us with 20% of the recommend daily magnesium allowance.
Additionally, it’s important to note that the following depletes magnesium so you need to either consume more magnesium-rich foods daily and/or supplement.
- Excessive prolonged stress
- Toxins like fluoride and alcohol
Sea Vegetables and Homeopathics to the Rescue
A natural proprietary homeopathic blend, Wholistic Thyroid Balance™, assists in restoring hormonal balance. It is a blend suspended in colloidal iodine which requires no digestive breakdown; in other words, it is bioavailable for full absorption.
Wholistic Thyroid Balancetm contains iodine in its purest, most elemental dietary form, from sea vegetables and formulated to be 99% absorbable. It is designed for thyroid support and further enhanced by the addition of key homeopathic remedies that address thyroid function, fatigue, obesity, poor digestion and overall hormonal balance – supplied in sublingual drops.
Iodine is essential to achieve and maintain healthy DNA because…
- it boosts our immune system;
- stabilizes our metabolism;
- supports bone health;
- is vital for brain development particularly during pregnancy and infancy;
- assists with cardiovascular health.
NOTE: The body requires iodine to make thyroid hormones that control the body’s entire metabolic functions and it’s important to keep in mind that the body cannot make its own iodine.
The exclusivity of Wholistic Thyroid Balance™ comes from the inclusion of the three types of iodine obtained from sea vegetables (not shell fish) that are necessary for optional function and nutrition of the thyroid gland – Iodine, Iodide and biological Iodine – each supporting specific body systems. As example, look at what just potassium iodide is credited for:
- Studies show this form of iodide blocks uptake of radio-iodine in the thyroid gland – lowering chances of developing thyroid cancer; as used after a radiation leak. This form is also used in emergency treatments for hyperthyroidism.
Iodine is critical for thyroid function, which is the body’s master hormone control center. It helps prevent oxidative stress that leads to chronic diseases such as atherosclerosis, diabetes, or arthritis. When your thyroid doesn’t work well, you can develop heart disease, your cholesterol goes up, and you are prime for a heart attack.
You also need iodine for metabolism; to convert your food to energy. If you don’t have enough iodine to keep your thyroid healthy, you get sluggish and store fat on your body, especially in the mid-section. You may also develop symptoms like fatigue, skin eruptions/disorders, depression, and weight gain.
That’s not all; when your thyroid is starving for iodine, a lot of other biological functions are compromised:
- Breasts: A large amount of iodine is concentrated in breast tissue; when you don’t have enough, you can develop fibrocystic breast disease – up to 93% of American women have it. This disorder is when your breasts become very painful and have nodules and cysts; the longer you have this disease, the higher potential for breast cancer.
- Skin: 20% of iodine is stored in the skin; most in sweat glands. If you don’t have enough iodine, you develop dry skin.
- Digestion: Iodine is concentrated in the stomach; when deficient, you develop a condition that feels like you have too much stomach acid. Actually, it’s just the opposite… you don’t have enough. If it goes on long enough, it can develop into stomach cancer.
- Eyes: Tear glands in your eyes contain large amounts of iodine; lack of iodine is known to be a major contributor of dry eyes.
- Mouth: Salivary glands in your mouth contain large amounts of iodine; lack of iodine can be the underlying cause of dry mouth.
- Ovaries: Iodine is concentrated in the ovaries; women who lack iodine develop cysts, the greater deficiency, the more cysts. It can also lead to a disease called polycystic ovarian disease.
You can avoid these problems if you pay attention to your iodine levels by doing the simple home iodine patch test. It’s important you understand how to safely test iodine levels in your body, which should be done once a month. Download Thyroid IodineTesting rev 4-15 with specific instructions how to test your thyroid iodine levels and details on this unique thyroid remedy that you take via drops under your tongue depending on the results of your test. If you choose to perform the HTMA that includes a full interpretation and nutritional recommendations, order through www.naturalrejuvenation.solutions. Homeopathic Thyroid Balance™ is ONLY available through Natural Rejuvenation Solutions; go on their website at: www.naturalrejuvenation.solutions or call in the U.S. & Canada Toll-free (888) 352.8175 or Local Line (208) 255.525 (Mon. – Thurs. 8: to 2: Pacific Time, closed Friday).
If you need to supplement your magnesium, I use and recommend a tri-magnesium blend specifically formulated to avoid the lower G.I. distress often caused with larger amounts of magnesium; it is a professional product called Tri-Mag. This is a blend also available through its professional distributor, Natural Rejuvenation Solutions www.naturalrejuvenation.solutions.