Many of you that follow my blogs and work know I was a victim of chronic insomnia after my much written about accident many years ago. I struggled, as do most of my clients, with not being able to get to sleep or stay asleep, despite using every natural aid I could get my hands on (and there were dozens). One thing that I didn’t try until recently is adding specific plants to the bedroom, and I had studied their health-enhancing effect...so why not, after all I use and recommend pure essential oils extensively but being the health detective that I am I needed to see some more recent science before trying it. After convincing in-depth research, I decided to see if live plants would help me so I could recommend the same to those I counsel. WOW, it did help get me to sleep faster! I’ve slept well for several years but still use various types of natural remedies (rotated monthly so the body doesn’t get complacent and they lose their effectiveness) to get to sleep – with my long hours and a Type A personality it’s hard to calm the brain. After all, what did I have to lose? They did what the research said they would – helped me calm my brain and get to sleep. Why not try one of the following (or all of them) in addition to other natural sleep aids, after all they're working for a tough case, yours truly. Don’t expect a “miracle” plant, place them in your bedroom and allow at least two weeks before you pass judgement on their benefit...
- Over 40 million Americans admit to a sleep problem or disorder, especially multi-taskers, those who work on computers long hours, and individuals whose liver is toxic (the liver time, according to thousands of years in the practice of Chinese medicine, is between 1: and 4: pm).
It’s easy for someone to tell you to simply relax, much harder to do so. For centuries plants have been used as medicinal remedies for most of what ails us, including lack of sleep. The following is a quick list of plants extensively researched – consider placing some in your bedroom – I have all four of them that I rotate monthly in and out, would you expect anything less?
– studies show that the aloe plant releases an abundance of oxygen at night. The extra oxygen helps fight insomnia and helps your body achieve and maintain a peaceful sleep and helps promote dreams.
- Snake Plant – this plant, like aloe vera, releases a lot of oxygen at night, much more than in daylight hours.
- English Ivy
– one of the plants easiest to grow to help purify the air. Ivy soaks up toxins and emits healthy oxygen. Studies show Ivy reduces airborne mold by up to 94%, therefore, a huge benefit to those with asthma and other breathing issues.
– not only does this plant have a pleasant aroma, it possesses many natural healing properties. It’s been used thousands of years to help with sleep and is very effective to reduce stress, anxiety and panic
- – last, but certainly not least, this plant has been used for centuries to reduce stress, anxiety, fight-or-flight response, and to slow the heart rate. Its calming properties are credited and used extensively in spas and homes especially in essential oils. I chose to use a good-sized dried bunch and periodically replace with a new bunch placed on my nightstand.
AND, for those “other” nutrients and supplements that I use and rotate monthly along with my live plants here they are, you asked!
These are all professional proprietary products (not available over-the-counter) and are available from the distributor that supplies all products used and recommended by me, the Natural Rejuvenation Solutions Store, click here: www.naturalrejuvenation.solutions or call toll-free in the U.S. and Canada (888) 352.8175.
Your Partner in Health,