After the holidays – the stress, rich food, alcoholic libations, travel, weather changes, etc. – your body is primed to catch “something.” The healing properties of the following recipe for Garlic Soup are awe-inspiring…AND…now backed by scientific research. Garlic, as your secret “weapon” at the FIRST sign of an illness, is your best natural protection to help boost your overall immune defenses.
The use of garlic for its medicinal purposes has been touted, taught and used for thousands of years around the world. Now, modern science has validated what we natural health professionals have been using, practicing and teaching for generations before yours truly has been around, 70 this year and proud of it. Studies at Washington University reported that garlic can be up to 100 times as effective in treating bacterial infections as most mainstream antibiotics. Antibiotics literally means “against health”, they kill all intestinal bacteria – good and bad. In contrast, garlic is loaded with antioxidants that help overall health and slow aging. In addition, it has a high sulfur content known to help detoxify your metabolic system by helping remove unwanted toxins and other health-depleting substances that make you more vulnerable to infection.
The Health Benefits…
The health properties of this soup, apart from the garlic and onion (part of the allium genre of foods), includes the benefits of olive oil which is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids that help overall health and inflammation, thyme with its active compounds that also have antibacterial properties, and parsley which is an excellent detoxifier and purifier to not only help with purging health-depleting microorganisms but also helps to eliminate them from the kidneys.
Keep in mind that using this type of recipe at the FIRST sign of illness is the key. It still helps shorten duration of illness if you take it once symptoms are in full swing but it’s best to be proactive.
- 8 bulbs garlic, peeled
- 2 TB ghee or coconut oil (both healthy & easy on the liver and detoxification processes)
- 2 TB organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large onions, diced
- 1 TB fresh thyme, chopped fine
- 8-10 oz. chicken broth (homemade or organic free-ranged store bought with NO nightshades)
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 3 cups gluten-free bread, chopped fine (insure it doesn’t contain nightshades like potato starch)
- 1 cup organic sour cream or crème fraiche (alternatives: plain goat milk yogurt, or none at all for dairy-free)
Alternative: If you want the soup to be thicker yet dairy-free, dissolve approx. 2-4 TB of either arrowroot powder or quinoa flour in chicken broth and slowly add to soup while cooking. If you still need it thicker, just repeat to desired consistency.
Variations: Not only for the health benefits but for presentation, consider topping individual servings with finely chopped chives and a dollop of sour cream or cream fraiche. I like it topped with finely chopped avocado, not only a taste-pleaser but also MORE health benefits.
- Heat oven to 180 degrees. Cut off the tops of the garlic bulbs and coat evenly with olive oil or softened ghee or coconut oil. Wrap the bulbs in foil and bake for an hour and a half. Let cool for a few minutes after removing from oven.
- While garlic is baking, heat olive oil/ghee/coconut oil in a large sauce or soup pan on medium heat. Add onions and cook for 10 minutes. When the garlic is baked, mash it with a fork and add this to the pot. Then add herbs, bread and chicken broth.
- Continue cooking on low until bread is soft and mushy.
- Pour soup into a blender or use hand- held upright blender, process until smooth, return to the pot. Add sour cream (or alternative), salt and pepper to taste, serve and enjoy!
NOTE: I make a large batch at the beginning of winter and freeze in containers enough for two bowels – an easy way to have it handy before you need it.
The Way I See It....
If you still need natural immune health, be sure to use the homeopathic natural antibiotic available only from health professionals. Argentyn 23 is scientifically tested to act as nature's antibiotic, I've used and recommended it for over twenty years. Unlike antibiotics which kill ALL bacteria, good and bad, A23 kills viruses, bacteria and health-depleting organisms without killing your intestinal health-enhancing microbiota. I use the nasal spray when among large crowds (airports, hotels, conferences, theatre's, hospitals, schools, etc.) and have traveled over 500,000 miles worldwide without catching anything. Taking it as directed by the Tablespoon is my natural defense and it should be yours. Available at the exclusive source for all health products I use and recommend, Natural Rejuvenation Solutions. CLICK HERE to order or call (888) 352.8175, Closed Friday.