As parents, and consumers, we’re never ready for the onslaught of illnesses that occur after classes start late August or early September. That said, you cannot wait until then to protect your health and that of your family - if someone you're around is exposed, so are you! Generally, six to eight weeks after classes begin illnesses manifest; strep throat, colds, influenza, sinus infections, and ear aches. The following proactive natural health measures are simple yet effective...
→ Probiotics, essential for intestinal health and our gut is where most of our immune system is based. Probiotics help compensate for fast-food, dehydration, and general stress – for maximum effectiveness rotate brands/potencies. It’s recommended under age 12 begin with a chewable variety of at least 4 Lactobacillus and 4 Bifidobacterium species to benefit gastrointestinal, immune and oral health in children, adults with 60 billion organisms per serving – rotating up to about 100 billion;
→ Daily adequate bowel elimination is vital. Increase natural fiber from raw vegetables and fruits – make green smoothies with fruit and a whey protein for immune-enhancement and increased energy/stamina. If sensitive to dairy, use a protein powder from organic brown rice with milk alternatives (almond, hemp, coconut or flax milk) and add seeds like Camelina, flax, chia, etc. for added fiber/nutritional value. If constipation or incomplete bowel elimination is present, begin taking an all natural herbal stool softener to get "things" moving so they don't sit in the colon and weaken overall immune defenses from recirculating toxic matter.
- AVOID sugar – It suppresses immunity – 8 TB. (Equal to 2 cans of soda), reduces ability of white blood cells to kill germs by 40%! – effects begin 20-30 minutes AFTER ingestion and last to 8 hours. Use natural sweeteners like Stevia, LoHan and Xylitol.
- Hydrate – Consume half your weight in ounces of water daily, (example: 50 lbs. = 25 oz.) – more when physically active or hot weather. Carry your own BPA-free water bottle – avoid dangerous plastic chemicals. Did You Know – When you sip from a “fat” straw, your body craves more and you consume twice as much with half the effort?
- Hand sanitation – I don’t advocate using anti-bacterial soaps or wipes, they have the same adverse effect long-term as antimicrobials – creating drug resistance, dry skin, macro (large) pores, and making us more susceptible to infection. I prefer a fragrance-free alcohol or any other natural antibacterial like a professional product in gel form called silver hydrosol. The best prevention is frequent hand-washing. Silver hydrosol also available as a nasal spray for protection when exposed to viruses any place.
- If your child/student appears “off” check his/her urine pH, first pee of the morning. When they’re acidic, it usually indicates they’re “fighting” a virus or infection. You can quickly alkalize, short-term, with 1 tsp. baking soda in whatever food or liquid you can “hide” it if they don’t like the taste and/or sweeten with natural sweetener. Their first urine of the morning should be 6.5 -7.2 – bacteria and viruses cannot thrive and multiply in an alkaline environment.
- I have used and advocated a proprietary complex homeopathic to help our body protect itself from the flu - it's in a liquid, easy to take and complete instructions guide you. It is not available elsewhere, if you're interested or you need to get your supply for this year's expected barrage of viruses, contact the exclusive supplier at 888.352.8175 or call direct 208.255.5252, a customer service representative will answer your questions and/or take your order - Open Mon. - Thurs. 8: to 2: Pacific Time, CLOSED Friday.